Sunday, June 25, 2006

Corinne Bailey Rae - Put Your Records On

Or at least the chorus of same:

girl put your records on
tell me your favourite song
you go ahead let your hair down
sapphire and faded jeans
I hope you get your dreams
just go ahead let your hair down
you're gonna find yourself somewhere..somehow


This song is just so much fun to listen to, to sing along with, to think about. It's a cheery little number that makes me think of stacks of 45s on a turntable, and sleepovers and makeovers and giggles. I'm not going to romanticize junior high--there was as much hell there for me as there was fun, but I'm not going to wallow in the pain, either. I'll just say that most of the best times were caught up with silly fun music, and be glad that every now and then a song pops up that helps me remember that.

I'd love to host a musical sleepover for a lot of my friends, just without the sleeping on the floor part (age does make that more difficult!). In fact, I'm working on getting people from my favorite message board to visit me. I'm a pretty good hostess, even if I do say it as shouldn't. *blush* I can't think of anything more fun than late nights just talking and listening to music. I think I'll go put some fun music on...

5 comments:

Murphy Jacobs said...

Air Mattresses make all the difference :)

Popcorn, pizza, oreos, bad movies, weepy mushy movies, music, singing with the hairbrush microphone...sounds like a plan!yahns

Anonymous said...

t's funny you know
Cos there's an old rock 'n' roller
He's got nowhere to go
Did you ever think of taking him in
Somebody help me, somebody please
Put another record on
Cos he likes that song

It's funny you know
He's never done nothing, done nobody wrong
Did he think about changing his name
I'm gonna tell him, it's the same old game
Put another record on

Round, round and round
See him smile

Lately I've seen him
Walking down the street, kinda moving his feet
Everyone I know looks the other way
Somebody help him, somebody say
Put another record on

Cos he likes that song
It's funny you know
Cos there's an old rock 'n' roller
He's got nowhere to go
Did you ever think of taking him in
Somebody help him, somebody please
Just put another record on


Anyhow when i read your post that song immediately came to mind....

guess thats the difference between us - when you were listening to cheerful music with friends i was listening to wonderful things like "Funeral for a Friend/My love Lies Bleeding" by myself....

Anyhow - can i come over - ill sit quietly in the corner and play wif Captain Conehad and Jiffy Pop Butt...

We will even go after the giant mutant chippie....

Jammies said...

The more the merrier! Everybody brings his or her own air mattress and booze. :-D

brendan said...

Count me in! Funny I was just thinking of old Elton John records too... sign of age I guess.

Jammies said...

Brendan, we must be the same age, then. Sleepovers always meant "Crocodile Rock" back when I was a young'un.

We'll save you a spot.