Sunday, February 04, 2007

'Twas a long week

So I'm weird--I get a huge rush when a difficult accounting balances. For those of you not familiar with the process, the Summit County Probate Court (and all Ohio probate courts) requires an annual itemization of every penny received and spent and every penny remaining for guardianship accounts.

This week, with the help of Bosstopus and the clients, I balanced two tough accountings, and helped another client finish off an easy one and get ready to close the money-managing guardianship. It took a few long and late days, but it was worth it. I love the wiggly feeling of elation when everything is perfect and the only thing left to do is type the data onto the Adobe forms and print it out.

*grin*

We always do court pleadings and accountings on 20lb bond paper. When our client took her completed accounting to court on Friday, the clerk helping her touched the original and said, "Only one attorney uses such nice paper--are you one of Bosstopus' clients?" When the client told me about that, I passed it on to Bosstopus, who'd been stuck down in Steubenville for most of the day. She laughed and wondered if that was a good thing to be known for at court. I said, "It's better than your previous reputation for using yukky paper clips." I've tried to fix that since I first heard about it, and I save the rusty, old, bent or otherwise bad paperclips for the bank. Key Bank is a huge corporation, but if you give their tellers a deposit with a paperclip, they will keep it. For the fees they charge, they can buy their own!

When not working this week, I've been making soap. More about that in a later post, when I get the pictures off my camera. Yesterday, I took the parental units to the airport to catch a flight to Dallas, then shopped for more soap supplies.

1 comment:

Scott said...

Gah, accounting. I had to take two semesters of accounting two or three years ago after I went back to school. I have no talent for balancing accounts. I'd end up with these mysterious $100,000 discrepancies. Any company that would give me access to their accounts deserves to lose it all. In fact it'd be much easier for everyone if they just piled the money up out in the parking lot and burned it. Therefore I work in party supplies.