Monday, December 07, 2009

I need a week to recover from my weekend!

My nephews spent last weekend at my folks' house, and despite not feeling in the least like leaving the house, I managed to spend a fair amount of time with them. Saturday afternoon, Mom, the boys and I went swimming at the Natatorium. While it wasn't empty, it also wasn't so crowded that it was unpleasant. Mom was relieved that there was a swim meet taking place in the pool with the diving boards--she takes most things in stride, but diving makes her nervous, and C (the older of the boys) really wanted to dive. Both boys had a great time on the two-story covered slide, and on the jungle gym which looks like a tree during the swim break.

Saturday night, we had dinner at Stages and then went to see the stage version of A Christmas Story. Dad grumped that the play changed things from the movie, C really liked the play, E seemed engaged but afterwards said "Meh," and Mom and I loved it. Mom was the first to see the big sign announcing that the Cleveland Playhouse would be moving in 2011, and given all of the restoration that has been done to the theaters over the years, we wondered why. I found out today at work it's because the Cleveland Clinic bought the whole shebang. Clearly, health care is still a growth industry!

Sunday morning, I worked at Mom's office and then headed out to Casa de SeniorJammies for breakfast, followed by the decorating of gingerbread houses, an annual tradition for the boys and me. Mom had been saving old candy (including about a dozen starlight mints she and I found under the cushion of one of her client chairs when we were looking for her IOLTA checkbook), and between the old candy, the candy that came with the gingerbread house kits and the marshmallows, both boys created houses that weighed twice as much when they were done as they had when I brought them in. And of course, some of the candy and some of the icing wound up inside the boys rather than on the houses...no wonder they fell asleep ten minutes into the car ride home!

Overall, while I wouldn't have chosen this weekend to spend with anyone, I think I managed to do a pretty good job of setting aside my distress and just enjoying my time with the boys.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All things considered, I think it was a much better weekend than you wanted it to be.

That being said, I do think that you need this shirt:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/unisex/a69c/zoom/

-O-Boy

P.S. Don't make me type it... just get the shamwow.

P.S.S. The captcha it wanted me to type in was imphtwhi. Oddly enough, I think that's exactly the sound I think you would make when I plant a big, wet, sloppy one on your forehead.

P.S.S.S - 4 days of 4 hours of sleep or less does make one strange mustelidae.

Jammies said...

Sweetie, you are always one strange mustelidae, and always welcome to plant big sloppy kisses on me, but I like this shirt better: http://www.jinx.com/men/shirts/geek/buffy_staked_edward.html?catid=1&cs=19&csd=staked