Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Girl gross stuff

Guys, skip this post, okay?







I'll wait while you leave.







Just us girls now? If not, you've been warned, both by the post title and by the opening lines. On your own little grossed-out head be it.





It's time to find a new girl bits doctor. I have had horrible cramps and heavy flow with every period since my early teens, with the exception of the 8 years I was on the pill. Right now, though, I've had my period and excrutiating cramps since December 14th, and today a combination of cramps and bleeding so heavily I soaked through an overnight pad in ninety minutes woke me up at five a.m.

The OB/Gyn with whom I have had a wonderful 10 year relationship is essentially refusing to perform a hysterectomy on the grounds that I could "meet Mr. Right and want to have children." Never mind that I made the decision not to have children in my 20s and that the decision was reinforced when I was diagnosed with MS, never mind that between nephews, nieces, and young cousins, there are twenty-nine kids in the next generation of my family, my doctor believes that I should remain fertile even if I'm miserable. Her solution to the bad cramps was a prescription for Tylenol with codeine--enough for one period and non-refillable. She also said we could discuss the matter again at my annual appointment in July.

Two years ago, she told me if I lost fifty pounds, she would do the hysterectomy. Now that I have, she's revealed her true motivation. I'm not going to confront her, I'm not going to see one of her partners for a second opinion, I'm going to another doctor. I checked the phone book on Saturday, and the doctor who did the emergency removal of my right ovary when I had the endometrial tumor back in 2002 is not only in practice, but he's all of five blocks from my house. As soon as the office opens, I am calling to see if he's accepting new patients, and taking their first available appointment. I cannot live like this any more--I'm home from work on a day when I'm needed, stuffed full of narcotics and still miserable.

Sometimes, I hate the entire medical profession. And sometimes, I just hate being a girl.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

*HUGS* Jammies.

A wise decision on your part, in my opinion.

Rob

Imp said...

Having my hysterectomy was the smartest thing I ever did ... and yes, I had to threaten to cause myself bodily injury (i.e., do it myself with a grapefruit spoon) before my gynecologist agreed to do it.

KLN said...

I'm so sorry for your frustration and the cramps. I don't understand physicians who refuse to do their patients bidding -- they aren't the ones making the decision. Good for you, for finding someone who can help you!

Jay said...

I had similar difficulty getting clipped. My purpose, of course, was not to stop my own discomfort and bleeding, but to end what was becoming an annual cycle of pregnancy, miscarriage, and 2 months of continual blood. It was amazing how touchy doctors were about it... most wouldn't even consider doing it. When I found the only one in the entire county who would, I had to fill out a LOT of legal stuff AND have my wife fill out waivers as well (as I'm taking away her ability to have children, or some such bullshit like that).

I hope you find the doc who is reasonable and understanding. *hugs*

Anonymous said...

wasn't as gross as i expected it to be....

(make mental note: need pepto)

Jammies said...

Thanks, everyone. *hugs*

I've got an appointment with Dr. Biats first thing Thursday morning, now all I have to do is subdue the cramps long enough to work tomorrow.

Alessia, I'll use the grapefruit spoon idea if I have to!

Jammies said...

Snicks, my leetle cabbage, if the other doc is willing to do this, she's not worth confronting.

And what are all you guys doing reading this stuff, anyway? I told you not to! :p

Jay said...

unlike many gay boys, "female plumbing" is not frightening to us my dear... of course, we aren't gay bois so that's probably part of it.

once you've spent half the night in the ER mopping up your wife's vaginal blood and changing her bed pads, you get over little things like "periods".

Jammies said...

You didn't listen to me, though, which you are ALWAYS supposed to do.

Canuck Girl said...

All I have to say...

"I Love you"

"I Send you BIG Canuck hugs"

and...

"Holy Shit does your family like to procreate. You are so off the hook to carry on the next generation"

I hope everything works out for you.

Unknown said...

*hugs* Jammies. I hope the new doc does what is needed. I hate doctors who think they can make decisions for you in matters like that.