Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Dog Formerly Known As

I can only conclude that my elder dog has decided to change his name. After several days of observation, I have noted that I can call "Stormy" while he is four feet from me and he will not acknowledge even my existence. However, if I call "Dinner," he can hear me from forty feet. He is undoubtedly thinking that humans are stoopid, since it took me so long to figure out the name change. Still, I can have endless moments of entertainment by petting him and saying, "Good Dinner!"

Mom and I had a great time shopping last night. Gabriel Brothers had a very poor selection of boys' clothes, so I still don't have a Christmas or birthday present for Dip, but I had great luck in finding four outfits for Baby Mathgeek (who thankfully is too young to care that she's only getting clothes). I still haven't found anything for little little brother, so the van's going to leave for Texas without a present for him, and I'll keep on looking.

My Christmas list is still about halfway done. I did go over budget last night, but mostly because I found CHRISTMAS SOCKS. They are adorable beyond belief, so I had to get a pair for all of the Christmas boxes that will be going out. Yes, Sherri, Heather, Bri, this means you. No socks for the guys, which is probably a good idea--none of the guys I know are into "cute." I still need presents for: both of my younger brothers, Scarecrow, Dip, my oldest friend in the world and our law clerk. The last one will be easy, though--he adores candy. When VL's secretary handed out bags of Halloween candy, Snoopy spread his all over his desk and sorted it just like a little kid with his loot, and then ate his favorites last. Then he went back to work on the office candy dishes. I could hate him, I really could--he's 37 and way too slim for someone who snarks down all that sugar!

The only productive thing I did today was get a haircut. After a consultation with my stylist, I came to two conclusions. My surgeon was talking out his butt when he said my hair was thinning from the anesthesia (he was looking right at the one thin spot I've had since the late '90s) and cutting my hair shorter would only accentuate the roundness of my face. I'll have to wait until my weight loss shows on my face to go with a shorter cut. I had time beforehand to go buy the rabbit ears I need for my bedroom television, but I couldn't find a RadioShack anywhere in the shopping center clearly marked on the map. By the time I got home, I was in a "screw it" sort of mood and decided I didn't even want to call them. They can do without my ten dollars for another week. Hmpf.

Of course, all the laziness today means I'll pay for it tomorrow, but oh well. Worth it. :-)

4 comments:

Murphy Jacobs said...

It's one of the mysteries of life that I see so many larger women with teeny short haircuts that make their heads look like PINS, completely out of proportion with their size. I admit I go to the opposite extreme, but I've tried short hair and it doesn't help a bit. My hair does not do well short.

As for Stormdog, do keep in mind that all dogs go through the world with but a single question in mind.

"Food for me? Food for me?"

Scott said...

I got my hair cut today as well; I don't think I've had one since last year. Long hair with a bald spot is not a good look, kids. So I had it all hacked off. Really short hair with a bald spot isn't much better looking, but at least now it won't take so long to dry and won't keep falling into my eyes.

Jammies said...

Well, I've got shoulder-length hair with a thinning spot, so there, Mr. Baldier Than Thou. :p

And Sherri, this is true for most dogs. Stormdog has two questions: "Food for me?" and "Where's my Jammies?"

Murphy Jacobs said...

Next time I get a trim, I'll save it all for you, Scott.