Monday, February 06, 2012

Book review

The Night StrangersThe Night Strangers by Chris Bohjalian

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


Bleah. For a so-called "ghost story," this was terribly boring. The writing is technically proficient, but the characters are two-dimensional placeholders, which makes for absolutely no tension in the scary plot developments. Those plot developments are telegraphed loudly in advance, and there's no leavening humor or humanity to make a reader care enough to be scared on behalf of any of the cardboard figures populating the novel. Throughout the read I was irritated by the use of second person singular for chapters involving the main character, then ticked when the cat was killed for no apparent reason except to demonstrate which "herbalist" was the Big Bad and finally just bored right out of my little fuzzy socks



View all my reviews

1 comment:

lisabella said...

This is definitely not one of his better works. I have to admit that I wouldn't put it down because I wanted to know what happened but that's pretty much the only reason I read it.

The ending pissed me off. I was hoping for more.