Thursday, October 07, 2010

Cheering myself up

Sherri once said of me, "Jammies gives good box" and I do try to make gifts special. Sherri and Jay and I had a great time talking on the phone while Jay opened his belated birthday box last month.



Even with the very tightened state of my finances, I am enjoying picking up Christmas gifts for friends and family, and making some of them. I'm also putting together two Halloween boxes for friends, and I love having an excuse to shop for all sorts of fun and different goodies!



I have to admit that there's more than a bit of selfishness in my gift-giving. I love how it makes me feel when a loved one opens a box from me and is delighted with the contents. I recently had a chance to turn sadness into happiness with a gift. The day I had Littlefoot euthanized, I happened to be wearing a purple holographic nail polish (Wild at Heart from Color Club), and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to wear it again without feeling sad. Fortunately, my friend clowder is another purple nail polish lover, so I got a bottle for her. Her delight in the polish means that now I can wear it again and think of her happiness.



When Kogi lost her dog, I knew I wanted to do something very special for her. I asked what color he was, and she sent me an adorable picture:







Since I couldn't find a yarn that was creamy white, I combined a short plushy white yarn with a longer eyelash yarn in ivory, and made a wrap for Kogi to cuddle in:



She loved it, and her joy at receiving this fuzzy hug made me feel better that I couldn't be there in person to hug her.


I count myself lucky that I have friends who let me shop for them and send them presents!

No comments: