Saturday, August 21, 2010

Rain

It finally rained good and hard last night, and supposedly things will cool off now! At least in this house I have air conditioning to get me through the hot days. I've never been very heat-tolerant anyway, but the MS has kicked my heat intolerance up to 11. I was only recently diagnosed when I bought this house, and the whole-house air just seemed like a nice thing to have. Good thing it was here, because it has saved me from misery every summer since!

In my old house, my bedroom was a converted attic and I didn't have AC. My first summer in the house, I tried everything I could think of to be comfortable, including trying to sleep on the floor in front of a fan. All that got me after I'd wrestled the mattress off the bed and set up the fan was Bigfoot curling up on my pillow as if I'd done that just for him. Then when I reclaimed my bed, I got dry eyes and a headache from trying to sleep with the constant airflow. Almost every night in late July and August, I cried myself to sleep because I was so miserable. I do remember one day when it rained going outside and playing in the rain and splashing in puddles while Bigfoot watched me from the windows, convinced I had lost my mind! The next year, Dad gave me Grandpa Arnold's old window unit, and I could at least sleep in cool comfort.

I also remember visiting Disneyland when I was about twelve or so. It rained all day, just a soft drizzle, and it didn't really bother anyone in my family because a January rain in California is much warmer than a January snowfall in Ohio! I did think it was funny that the PA system was playing "It Never Rains" by Albert Hammond as we were leaving.

Thanks to last night's rain, I can harvest my basil and lemon balm without the leaves being all heat-shriveled. Time for pesto! :D

3 comments:

Becs said...

Mmmm...we're finally getting a desperately needed day of rain here in central Jersey. Just a couple of weeks of mild rain and we might keep from turning into an East Coast version of the Dust Bowl.

Jammies said...

This rain was a present from Zayrina, so I'll send it to you when I'm done with it. It's all about the regifting! ;)

Anonymous said...

I hate hot. It's supposed to be a high of 77F on Thursday here. Still not chilly enough for me. It has been so hot here this year that I have run a window unit to supplement the central air. I usually have August and September as free months with the electric company as part of my settle up bit with the budget plan. Not this year.

Oh and I hope Becs appreciates that regifting when it snows here 17 inches in January.

Z