Sunday, December 18, 2011

Cars suck.

What they principally suck, of course, is money--right out of your wallet. On the 2nd, I took my car in for new brakes. I had that budgeted at $300, so of course it was $303. Then on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, Mom and I had three very rough days at work, and this culminated with me walking to my car on a cold, wet, dark evening only to find that it wouldn't start. The gentleman from AAA advised that I stop at an auto parts store and have them see if the battery needed to be replaced. I did, and the guy who helped me couldn't even get a reading because of all the corrosion. *sigh* So that was another $104 that I didn't have budgeted, and good bye pretty new nail polish, holiday smellies or anything fun.

Dad was still sick all last week, which is hard on Mom, Vegan Lawyer had two briefs due which were driving her and her staff crazy, and I have mice again. *shudder*

Speaking of the mice, I went to Home Depot and asked for some help. The sales associate took me to the area reserved for pest control, waved at the shelves and said "Here you go." When I asked about a poison that wouldn't kill my dog, he said all the baits were the same and that the mice would run away and die. I bought two traps and a bait station with refills, came home and checked the interwebbinetz, only to discover that if Little Miss Piggie Pie ate a poisoned mouse, she would be poisoned! So I set the traps, which are nice in that they are self-contained and you don't ever see the dead mouse. Tomorrow night I am going back to HD and exchange the unused bait station for more traps.

Last night I did have to use a trap that wasn't self-contained, and LMPP was very interested in that corner of the floor this morning. I made her leave it, because I was not up to dealing with a dead mouse before my second cup of coffee. Yes, there was a dead mouse, and the worst part of disposing of the trap was the tail. *full body shudder* I can't wait to get more of the fancy traps.

Dad advised just the simple wooden traps, and made fun of me for "killing at a distance," but Mom has him to dispose of dead mice and I just have me. I told him that if it wouldn't ruin my kitchen (and the house, and the neighborhood, and the city and so on) I would nuke the damn things! So far, I've gotten two, and I will keep setting traps and hope for the best!

6 comments:

Otterboyy said...

I'd personally use a shotgun on the fuggers, but well I might hit a computer on accident.

jenjenrebecca said...

You need a cat. nods

Jammies said...

Silly Otter, shotguns are for squirrels in the attic, because then you get the nice bonus of a new skylight.

JenJen, cats are like kids--I like other people's just fine, but I don't want any of my own.

Mike S said...

when i had the swiss family mouse living in my stove, i ended up getting a few "humane" traps - not the glue ones (which are anything but) but the ones that function as a little mini house type thing - you put bait inside the trap, place it near where the lil buggers are seen, and then wait for them to go in after the bait - they do, the trap closes, and when you see its closed you just toss it out...no yucky mouse carcass and no worry on your darlin puppy monster eating said poisoned mouse....

Mike S said...

dcon no view no touch mouse traps - available at walmart

Jammies said...

Thanks, Mike! I think the ones I killed were either the only ones here or the only ones brave enough to venture inside the house, because I've seen not a trace of a mouse since I got the second one. But I will keep that product name written down just in case!